Thursday, May 09, 2019

Distracted and Unfocused Training


It wasn't really a surprise when David announced that he was not going to compete in LaFollette Park's boxing show that takes place next month.  He told Sahia that his dad doesn't want him to box  Then why did David re-register to be in the class?  "Did he have a fight the last time he was registered for the class?" Sahia asked me.  "No. David was also taking swimming classes at the same time, just like now," I replied.

So far, David's cousin Esteban is still planning to fight, but I'm not betting on that.  The family is going out of town right after the boxing show.  Esteban might come up with an excuse as to why he can't compete, either.  Sahia had planned to ask some teens from another gym if they would like to come in and give David and Esteban some sparring.  It doesn't seem to be worth the effort to arrange that now.

Both Sahia and I were shaking our heads at the listless manner of Jaylen, Aria, and Aylia.  I have to keep telling the kids they need to act like they want to be there.  Aylia is twelve years old, yet acted like she didn't know the difference between her left and right feet in terms of staying in her stance.  Aria kept dropping her hands.  Jaylen was constantly plopping down to sit between rounds as well as poking around during rounds.  Sahia caught Jaylen running with his cell phone in his shorts pocket.  "What do you need the cell phone for?" she asked.  I ordered Jaylen to put it in his backpack which took him several moments.  I snapped, "It's not brain science to put the phone up!"

I'm ticked at Jaylen because he distracted me with a useless question about Arai and Aylia's whereabouts the other day.  I lost my mp3 player; I must have dropped it at some point while Jaylen was questioning me as I arrived at work.  I didn't notice it was gone until it was time for me to get off work.  Of course, I snapped on him about causing me to misplace it when I saw him again.  Jaylen has missed days in the gym, so I fail to understand why he was concerned about someone else's attendance.

The summer class for the eight to 12-year-olds is nearly full.  Kayla, who had been in the class when Damaris and Anayah were attending, re-registered. However, teen and adult classes have no participants.  Anyone who signs up for those classes will register late and barely attend if they show up at all.  Few people want to be in a hot gym during the short time there's nice weather in the city.

No comments: