Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Side Hustle Boxing


Several of the women in my neighborhood expressed interest in attending a boxing class.  After making inquiries and finding a spot for it to take place, I now run a women's only boxing class on the weekends.  The emphasis is on fitness as opposed to preparing for competitions.


After the disastrous fall session at LaFollette Park, running a women's only fitness boxing class is a pleasure.  It's a chance for me to make a little extra money.  The majority of Chicago Park District employees are part-time.  If my father, who was also a government employee were alive, he would alternately be laughing at and picking on me about the low salary I make at the park district as well as the fact that I don't get annual raises in pay among other job benefits.  It is no wonder that most park district employees have to take on a second job. 

It feels good to coach adults.  I haven't had much of a chance to do that at LaFollette because the adult boxing class is the least populated class of the ones I have there.  Only once in the four years I've been with the park district has that class been half-way full.  Not once have any of the adults -- save for Sahia -- stayed in the class for an entire session. 


Coaching adults has always easier than dealing with kids and teens.  I don't have to deal with parents' issues on top of the youth's issues.  The group of women I have in the weekend classes want to be there and are eager to learn.  I do my utmost to mix up the routines to make it interesting for them and so they get the most out of it.  Since I have my own health issues, I'm very mindful of what health issues the women may have.  Modifications are made for every exercise.  The women are encouraged to work within their own fitness levels.  My motto is, if something doesn't feel comfortable to do, then let's do something else.

I'm hoping that the women's fitness boxing class continues to grow and that I can offer more classes like that at other times during the week.




No comments: