Thursday, June 21, 2018

Second Year Cancellation


As soon as I drove up to the field house, Steve was outside telling me my boxing show scheduled for today was canceled.  I knew that already, considering it had rained all day long. This is the second year in a row that LaFollette Park's boxing show has been canceled due to the weather.

 The youths were told yesterday to show up to the gym even if the boxing show was canceled because we would just have regular training as usual.  No one bothered to show up.  I woke up this morning with a headache and the fact that I had to sit in an empty gym for several hours did not make it better. Neither did finding a sign torn down from my office/equipment room door.  The sign was another reminder to both outside maintenance crews and on-site attendants to lock the door afterward if they have to be in there for any reason.  I found that door open again sometime last week.  My sign was crumpled up and laid in a spot where I wouldn't miss seeing it.  I put up another sign.  If that one goes missing, I'm going to use Super Glue to post the next sign up.

Lee, who I hadn't seen in a couple of years, came by the gym.  I used to let him and Mike -- the late Johnny Heard's son -- use the gym to get work in.  Lee told me he now has a professional boxer's license.  He's planning on getting a fight in August.  I would love to have more professional boxers visit the gym.  Perhaps it would motivate some of the youths to straighten up and take the sport seriously.


No comments: