Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Not A Good Beginning


Yesterday was the first day of the summer session.  Despite my reminder phone calls made to parents last week, only Damaris, Kayla, and Anayah  showed up for the kids' class.  I asked if they were still planning to participate in the boxing show later this week at Humboldt Park.  Anayah's mom said she and her daughter were going to be at the weigh-in.  But Damaris and Kayla have changed their minds.  Not a good start to the regular boxing show season.

Mikaela and Noel came in, and I asked why they weren't at Simons Park, where they now train.  Coach Marty asked them to come in later so he can work with them more.  They wanted to work out while waiting for their mother who volunteered in the kids' class, but they're no longer signed up at my gym.  Sorry, but rules are rules.

No one showed up for the teen class.  Only Mark, an 18-year-old, showed up for the adult class.  Mark told me he might not be able to come to the gym regularly.   It looks like a repeat of the spring session where those classes are concerned.

I got evidence there was an attempt to turn away a guardian from registering their child in the boxing class.  Fortunately, the guardian talked to me, and I rectified the situation.  But I'm confused at what smells like a case of program sabotage -- and it's not the first time there has been signs of it.  All I do is go to work, mind my business, and do my job.  I fail to see how I -- or the boxing program -- is a threat to anyone.


No comments: