Thursday, April 26, 2018

Don't Play The Coach

First, Malik tried to run a game on me.  It's obvious that he attempted to sign himself up for the teen boxing class, but he put his mother's name in the spot where his name should have been.  Today I  discovered that Deantre, or Dexter, as he is known as, gave me a paper registration form with totally false information.  It had been allegedly filled out by his mother.  Her number was disconnected.  The emergency number was for someone who didn't know who Dexter was.  Nor did they have children.
I know people can lie when they sign up online just like Malik did.  But at least Malik had the sense to use his relative's real phone number.  Dexter's little stunt could have had more serious consequences.  For example, if Dexter had been seriously hurt, there would have been no way to reach his parent.  His parent would have been surprised to find their son in a boxing class and they may not have been pleased.  I would have been in trouble, the program would have been in trouble, and the park district would have been in trouble.  I immediately scratched Dexter out of the class.  He'll find out if he ever shows up to the gym again, which I doubt.

Another teen girl who never showed up to class at all this session was kicked out, too.  I had made a courtesy call some time ago and came up with another parent's phone number that was disconnected.  I called the second number and got voice mail.  I'm not sending letters anymore just like I'm not giving out paper registration forms ever again.
A new teen girl, Kierra, will begin class tomorrow, but she may not complete the session.  Her mother explained that she wanted her daughter to participate in some sports because she's never been involved in any sports at all.  If Kierra likes the class, she'll stick with it.  If not, she'll withdraw.  Well, at least I know up front.

No comments: