Saturday, January 27, 2018

That's What I Get For Trying To Be Helpful

Looks like the fundraiser that Sahia and Doneisha had graciously stepped up to plan for the boxing program may be dead in the water.  It appears that management is not supportive of the event, nor wants it to take place.  I can understand some of their reasoning why a fundraiser shouldn't take place.  There is a budget for boxing equipment, and there is a warehouse of sports equipment somewhere.  However, I was already told that this year's budget is small, and I may not get everything I want.  I also know that from the past, items I have asked for from the warehouse haven't always been available.

Sigh. . .I don't mind admitting that I'm "feeling some type of way" about this latest development.  It's not just about the equipment.  I've had kids drop out of the program because they could no longer afford the bus fare to get to the field house.  Some can't make it to the boxing shows because of the same reason.  Other kids have wanted items that the park district does not provide for, like boxing shoes, for example.  It would be nice to present awards for most improved boxer, boxer who won the most fights that year, etc., but that's a separate charge as well.

The major sports teams in town support the park district's football, basketball, and baseball programs.  The aquatics program gets good support.  But the boxing program has no powerhouse organization that regularly lends support.  Individuals and businesses have to be approached to possibly donate or the coach -- if they can afford it -- comes out of their pocket to fill needs.

I have to explain management's concerns to Sahia and Doneisha, which I know is not going to go over well with them.  At the moment, I have to throw my hands up in the air because I don't have an alternative plan to deal with this situation.  It's a common theme in my work life going back to the late 1970's:  I initiate something that I intend to be helpful only to have it blocked.

No comments: