Monday, September 04, 2017

Thin Line Between Self-Defense and Assault


The numbers have increased in the three boxing classes I run.  Iz and Abraham re-signed up for the kids class last week, the teen class is half-full, and the adult class has two people registered with the promise of a third person signing up.

If I remember correctly, Janaja, who re-registered for fall after having been out of the teen class for several sessions, told me during the last time she was in the class that she wanted to know how to defend herself.  Despite the signs everywhere in the gym stating that boxing is a sport and that I do not teach self-defense, I know I'm going to have to remind people that it is not a self-defense class.  Self-defense is only designed for people to stun and distract assailants so they can run off to safety.  It is not intended for people to give out punishing and continuous beat downs.  People have spent time in jail and some are currently doing time because some lawyers were able to convince some judges to rule that self-defense was assault and battery.  I can't control how people use the skills that I teach them when they aren't in the gym.  But I have to warn people that if they get into an altercation and it's known that they know how to box (or know martial arts or general self-defense moves, for that matter) that it is very easy to be found on the wrong side of the law.

Too many young people today believe they can't be held responsible for their actions because they are under the age of eighteen.  Some parents of today neglect to tell their kids that there are consequences for everything.  I'm still wondering why in light of the fact that the majority of grade and high schools have zero tolerance for violence policies, that some parents think a boxing class is an answer to their kids' being bullied.

One of the positive aspects of learning a combat sport like boxing is that it makes people less likely to escalate conflicts.  When I was younger, I was quick to put my hands on people who popped off at the mouth to me.  Since I learned how to box (and took martial arts in the past), it has become clear that I don't have to RSVP to every argument to which I'm invited.  I have encouraged those in the class not to go around bragging about, "I got them hands," because there are people who like to start stuff for amusement.  People will provoke someone just to see if they have the skills they claim to have.  Often, it's a setup, and people will cry victim after receiving a beat down in order to get someone else in trouble.

As for the adults looking for self-defense moves in the boxing class, I have to point out that they have a whole lot more to lose because of an altercation.  A kid under 18 years of age could possibly get their police record expunged, but an adult is going to have to deal with having thrown a damaging punch for the rest of their days if a judge decides they could have handled a situation in a different way.  Jail time and probation may be avoided, but being sued in civil court for damages may not.  Adults should know the difference between what situations should be escalated and which ones should not.

I'm going to try and enjoy peace and quiet at work this last week of break before the fall class begins.  The administrative tasks I had to do are done, save for the attendance sheets and class rosters that I need to print out near the end of the week.  The equipment has been checked and cleaned, and my office/equipment room has been straightened up.  As there are still boxing shows going on -- Portage Park's show is this week -- I'm hoping that some of the kids will participate.

No comments: