Friday, September 08, 2017

Pugilism At Portage Park


A boy named Sean who fought out of Brooks Park was crying during his fight with another boy at the Portage Park boxing show.  Sean was knocked down at one point; Shifty, the referee, asked if he wanted to continue.  For a second, I thought Sean was going to give up, but he soldiered on.  Sean did not get the win.  It bothers me when kids are crying during matches and afterward.  I always feel sorry for them.  I gave Sean encouragement when I spotted him later on.

Sean's sister, Shannon, was handling her business against Jade in a later fight.  No winner there because it was deemed an exhibition match.  But Shannon was quite aggressive.  I think she would have won if it was a regular bout.

Iz, who previously had said he wanted to go to Portage Park, did not show up.  I don't want to shut down the gym to attend next week's show at Davis Square.  I would like to go to Coach Eddie's gym as I haven't been there for awhile.  But it'll be the first week of the fall session, and I don't want the new people to miss a day out of class.  I might have to, however, if Iz and his brother Abraham really, really, want to get fights there.

Pete was the referee for the last few bouts.  I hadn't realized that Pete had retired. Shifty told me he came out of retirement briefly to work the Portage Park show.

Next week is going to be busy, so I'm going to enjoy the slow pace at LaFollette for the next couple of days.

No comments: