Monday, May 08, 2017

Recognizing Potential


J, a trainer at LaFollette Park, has taken an interest in Ariel regarding her training.  He had her skip rope 500 times the other day.  She did it with ease.  He's not the only one who's always checking for her down at the gym.  People are very interested in watching her train because she has good potential when it comes to competing.  Unfortunately, Ariel doesn't show up to the gym consistently.  I would like to schedule sparring sessions for her with other fighters within the park district, but her attendance, on top of the fact that she's female, makes that hard to do.

I had to lightly admonish Iz and his brother Abraham this past Saturday.  They showed up to the gym on Friday -- late, as usual -- found the door locked and didn't check around enough to learn that I was there.  In their defense, I might have forgotten to open the door that leads to the other set of doors that open into the gym.  It's happened from time to time.  But if they would at least had kicked and banged on the door, I would have heard that.  So those two missed out on sparring.  They were in the field house on Saturday because they opt to go to swimming instead of boxing on that day.

There's been no more talk about the seniors having their own boxing class.  A class for them should have been on for this spring.  I keep hearing that those who are supposedly interested in boxing haven't met yet to decide when they want to take the class.  The idea was presented to them back in February, and now, it is May.  I'm over it at this point.  I was willing to run the class, but I don't have time for this "we can't make up our minds" stuff.  My priorities now are to keep the summer camp kids out of my gym as much as possible this summer, preparing people for the boxing shows, and focus on getting the adult boxing class back on the schedule for fall.

No comments: