Friday, January 13, 2017

First Week Problems


So far, the winter boxing session has been off to a bad start.  I don't like to call the kids when they don't show up for class.  It's not a good use of my time.  Against my better judgment, I did call Donovan and Maz's homes.  Donovan has been "busy" and decided that he couldn't come to class today, either.  I should have been informed of that earlier in the week.  I got voice mail when I tried to contact Maz.  I left a message regarding the new attendance policy that is in place.  Unfortunately, both Maz and Donovan are currently in danger of running afoul of that policy.

Out of eleven kids who are registered for the youth class, only Davion, Tyler, and James showed up.  They were so busy fiddling around with their cell phones that they could not focus on what they were supposed to be doing.  James kept prattling on about video games and TV shows.  One of the other two boys complained about being bored.  Well, if they would actually train instead of goofing around or sitting and staring into space like deer in headlights, maybe they wouldn't be bored.  I gave the usual statements about the need to train in order to win fights, but they weren't listening.  I had enthusiasm in the beginning of class, but it fizzled quickly in the face of the kids' lack of motivation and interest.  Davion seemed surprised by the idea that any of them would participate in boxing competitions.  Really?  What does he think the class is about?

Sparring early during the class didn't seem to do much to raise the boys' interest.  Davion was giggling through most of his time in the ring.  James still has a long way to go.  At least his headgear wasn't coming off constantly like it usually does.  Tyler showed some promise, but he keeps his hands down too much.  I worked on head movement with Davion and Tyler afterward.  However, James was too enamored with video game hack videos on YouTube to get in gear for punch mitt work.

Davante was the only one who showed up for the teen class.  He told me he would cut his Saturday baseball practice short to come to the gym.  But I encouraged him to go.  After all, Davante has shown up the other days of the week, and he seems eager to learn about boxing.  I'm not going to have a problem with him going to baseball practice on Saturdays.

Group lessons are included on my lesson plan for the classes.  But it is hard to do them when everybody does not show up at one time.  I'm tired of doing the lessons piecemeal -- showing something to a couple one day, then going over the same things again to the ones who decide to stroll in a week or two later, and so on.  But I won't adjust the lesson plan to accommodate those who refuse to get it in gear and get to the class when they are supposed to be there.



No comments: