Saturday, December 10, 2016

Coach Mama


Today was the last day of the fall session, and no one came to the gym.  Ariel usually doesn't come in on Saturdays, so I wasn't surprised.  Donovan and Maz have missed a lot of days, and I have no idea what's up with that.  The kids who barely attended like Summer, Jaymerson, Lauren, Morgan, etc. . . .oh, well.

James told me yesterday, "Miss Hillari, I have a rough cough, and I feel feverish."  He asked me to feel the side of his neck.  I also felt his forehead, and it did appear that the boy was running a little bit of a fever.  At that moment, I felt like I was James' mom, or a nurse in a school clinic.  That led to a conversation about tonsils.  James still has his, and I told him about mine being taken out decades ago.  I'm assuming that James wasn't feeling any better today, which would explain his absence.

Mrs. Gage came in this morning to register for a senior class.  Coach James told her that no registrations would be taken for anything at the field house until Monday.  That led to a debate between Coach James and Mrs. Gage about what the park district should and should not be doing.  You see, Mrs. Gage is one of those citizens who regularly voices their opinion when they believe things are out of line.  She lives across the street from the field house, and she is always watching.  She is also the mom of a fellow alumnus of the high school from where I graduated.  Coach James thought that Mrs. Gage was being unfair in her assessment of the park district.  However, everything she said wasn't wrong.  There's always room for improvement.


No comments: