Monday, May 09, 2016

Sparring With A Man


In the photo above, Ben (on the right) spars with Jesus.

Connor was fussing with Alan concerning his sparring session with John.  I didn't see much of it because I was concentrating on the speed bag.  But I could hear Alan barking, "Punch!  Don't tell me what you can't do!"  Hearing Alan talking like that made me feel less guilty about snapping on the kids down at my gym.  Connor said that John was too tall for him to be able to get some punches out.  "John is six foot three, and you're six feet!  That's not much of a difference," Alan said.

No other women other than Natasha (I'm not sure that's her correct name) were on the premises.  She didn't want to spar.  "I'll have to put you in with one of the guys," Alan told me.  I ended up sparring for a couple of rounds with Ben.  I hadn't sparred with a guy for a long time, that is, if you don't count the few times I have sparred with some of the grade school boys down at my own gym.

Ben was not hitting hard; he worked mostly on defense.  I was getting in hits, mostly to his middle and sides.  To my surprise, I was able to get a lot of left hooks to the body in.  My practicing those types of shots for the past week or so seemed to have paid off.

There was a 20 pound kettlebell in the room.  I assumed it belonged to Alan, so I exercised with it.  "Swing it up over your head," Alan said, but I couldn't quite raise it that high.  I need to build up my arm strength more.  Also, my left shoulder is still bothering me, and I didn't want to push it.  Sigh. . .it does take longer to heal up when one gets older.  However, I didn't notice any pain with that shoulder while sparring with Ben.

I had some potato and mixed veggie chowder for dinner.  For the past few weeks, there have been days when I've eaten no meat at all.  No, this does not mean that I'm going vegetarian.  I love my steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and bacon too much to do that.  But I have felt lighter and better on the days when I haven't been eating meat at every meal.  Maybe I should continue the trend.


No comments: