Monday, July 20, 2015

I Had To Have A Hot Dog


During the summer, religious groups can be found in the park, doing missionary work.  I was half thinking about sparring while on my way to the gym, when I came upon such a group.  They were giving away hot dogs and chips.  There went any plans for me to spar.  As I ate, I had a pleasant conversation with Rachel, one of the full-time missionaries.

"There are a lot of new faces here," I told Alan when I got to Loyola Park's gym.  The gym was crowded, which was very unusual for a hot day in July.  Alan pointed to the ring where Gabe, who I hadn't seen in a long time, was working out.  I told Gabe I was coaching at LaFollette.  "About damn time they gave you a coach's job," he smiled.  "I'm happy to hear that!'

A few of the guys sparred, but it was mostly women's day in the gym  Erica sparred with Gabby, then with Kathy.  Melanie wanted to spar with Gabby, but they probably will do that later in the week.

While monitoring a couple of the guys who were sparring, Alan said, "It's harder to be the coach than the fighters!"  I laughed.  "It's mentally exhausting!" he continued.

No comments: