Monday, February 24, 2014

Popping The "Roger"


Alan holds the bag for Alicia as she throws a punch in this photo.  He said to me, "Hasn't she improved?"  "Each time Alicia is here she improves more and more.  She works hard," I replied.


The reason Alan had his jacket on was because it was a bit nippy inside the gym.  The temperatures outside weren't too bad today, but it wasn't warm on the inside.  Also, Alan forgot to bring his gear, so he couldn't work out.  But he was giving a lot of help to Alicia, Sam, and Jason.

Jason and I threw a medicine ball back and forth again.  I had worked up a sweat by the time we did two rounds.  We did one more round after that.  I had forgotten how much work is involved in tossing a medicine ball around.  My left leg felt a lot of the impact of catching the ball.  Jason stood face forward to me, but I was in a modified boxing stance, thinking it would give me a little more leverage.  I dropped the ball a few times, and caught it directly in my stomach at other times.


Sam returned after being out of town on business for awhile.  In this shot, Professor holds the punch mitts for him.  Sam told Alan and I that Lindsey had signed up for a yoga class.  "She didn't like boxing, so she decided to do something else," Sam explained.  "She didn't give it chance," Alan smiled, and I agreed with him.  Lindsey was complaining from day one, and I figured she wasn't going to continue.  Some people take to the sport, and some don't.


Professor noticed that Igor had used spit bucket near the ring, but missed the mark.  I shook my head, but I didn't say anything.  The incident wasn't worth me raising my blood pressure.  Igor returned to the gym after being out for two weeks.  Alicia said last week that Igor was probably staying at home to watch the 2014 Winter Olympics, which took place in Sochi, a town in Russia (Igor is Russian).  Alan and I said she was probably right.  However, when Igor came in, I overheard him tell Alan something about having been sick.


"You were hitting the bag like the 'old' Hillari," Alan told me later on.  I was popping the "Roger" bag very hard with a lot of hooks and overhand rights.  Alan asked if it bothered my leg; he had noticed me limping earlier, especially when I went to use the speed bag.  I told him that sometimes it hurts, and sometimes it doesn't.  I'm hoping that means that some further improvement is taking place.  I just wish the improvements would go faster than they have been.

No comments: