Monday, December 23, 2013

Not A Leg To Stand On


Alan, Colonel, Igor, and Renee were at the gym.  I was at home.  My left lower back has been hurting since late last week, and every time I move, pain shoots down my left leg.  I tried to go to the gym, but I got halfway down the hallway in my apartment building. Each step on the left leg was painful.  "I'm not going to make it down there walking," I thought to myself.  I had to push my stubbornness out of the way and hobble back inside my apartment.  I left Alan a message letting him know what happened, then I stretched out on my back on the floor.

Every time I get injured, I go back through my memory banks to figure out what I did to bring it on.  The cause could have been anything from stretching in the gym to nearly slipping in the snow the last time I went grocery shopping.  The scary part is that I can't easily pinpoint causes anymore.  Physical ailments often seem to just pop up out of anywhere these days without much warning.  I wasn't happy that I missed a day at the gym, but there was nothing I could do about it.  Alan called me later and said that Colonel noted that I'm always at the gym, and it's rare that I'm not there.

When I was cleaning the bathroom a few days ago (something else that may have contributed to me hurting right now), I found my hot water bottle.  Rarely do I ever use it.  I brought it out of tradition -- Ma always kept one in the house when I was a kid.  Guess I'll be filling it up later on with hot water and placing it on my back.  Hopefully, that will ease my back enough so that I can sleep.  I haven't been able to get much sleep since my back and leg started acting up.

This year has not been a good one.  The top highlights were being reunited with my late younger sister's oldest daughter and the news that my sister's youngest daughter is engaged to be married.  However, my present physical state is just one more in a long, long string of problems I've experienced since January.  I'll be glad when this year is over.


No comments: