Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Photographing The Action


In the photo above, Kevin advances towards Kenny, with whom he was sparring.  Kevin hadn't been in the gym for awhile.  He told us that he signed up for this year's Golden Gloves, so he's ready to train hard.  Reygie and I wondered what's been happening with Andre, who also signed up for the tournament.  Andre hasn't been in the gym for a minute, and he needs to come in.

Kevin gave me his phone to videotape him as he sparred.  "I want to see what I'm doing," he explained.  I managed to take a couple of shots of him and Kenny with my own camera while videotaping.  At one point, I was standing behind Alan near the ropes.  Alan kept moving into the shots, so I went around to the other side of the ring to get a better view.  After three rounds with Kenny, Kevin took a break, but indicated that he would be going back into the ring.  I trotted over to the other side of the ring because I still had my camera in hand.

Kenny and Reygie sparred.  Vachel and Amy were near the uppercut bag which is behind the ring.  Kenny and Reygie got some wicked hits on each other.

Vachel kept going,  "Ooh!  Ooh!" every time the two men pummeled each other.  Alan noticed me and told me to get ready to spar when the guys were through.  "Hillari, you're a fighter, not a photographer," he said.  "I can't do both?" I said.  I wish my photos came out as good as those people who take photographs for Sports Illustrated and ESPN magazines.  But then, I'm not working with expensive camera equipment like the professionals are.

Brandy and I sparred in a three-round session that got more intense as it went on.  I left my body wide open, so Brandy was able to throw some very effective shots to my mid-section.  I don't feel them at this moment.  It's the delayed reaction to pain thing that I've always had, but in several hours, or the next day, I'll feel them and ask myself the same dumb question I always do, "Why am I hurting?"  Alan had told Brandy to really throw the punches because I have a habit of smothering people.

The overhand rights I threw were not effective because they were not timed right.  The hooks to the head and the body shots I gave out were better.  "Now you're boxing," I heard Alan tell the both of us.  Brandy and I were in a few clinches, but I did not want to throw body shots while I was in them.  I know a lot of boxers take advantage of the clinches and do that, but I always feel like that's cheating, so I don't.  I stop and step back and away.



Paul got in the ring with Arnold, with instructions coming from Alan, Kenny, and Colonel.  Paul had Arnold backed up against the ropes, and Colonel kept saying, "Too close!  Too close!"  Paul was throwing a lot of punches, and Arnold covered up against them.

One of the punches did some damage; here's Arnold with a bloody nose.

Most of the guys have stories about having to defend themselves on the street.  Kenny told one about having to give an uppercut to a guy years ago.  He had all of us laughing.  But the story pointed out something I'm always trying to get across to some of these young knuckleheads (which includes some girls who think they're tough as well): they need not just step to anybody just because they think they can.  Some people aren't going to be intimidated or impressed.





No comments: