Thursday, January 05, 2012

Room Before The New People Arrive

Wednesday evening was the only day the gym was open this week due to the fact the field house was closed on Monday for the New Year's holiday.  Ray was the only other guy in the gym besides Alan (the two of them are sparring in the photo above).  Sarah, Amy, and Renee came in.

Renee decided she wanted to spar, but she wanted to ease back into it.  She and I only did one round, and we went light.  I did some little movements and dancing around that I normally don't do while I was in the ring with her.  Renee caught me good with some body shots, however.  She kept asking if I was okay, and apologizing.  Finally, Alan said, "Don't say you're sorry."  I laughed and said, "That's what the former coach used to say to me all the time." 

I stayed in the ring as Renee got out, and Alan stepped in.  I had to change my game plan, and it wasn't always working.  Renee and I are about the same height, more or less.  I had to reach punches up to get Alan.  As Ray pointed out (he sparred with Alan after I was done), Alan has quick feet.  Alan got me in the nose.  It still hurts a bit as I type this, but I can breathe well, so it's not broken.  But it stunned me into paying more attention to covering up better. 

Alan got another "oof!" out of me, but he thought it was a shot to my stomach that did it.  It was a reaction to a punch I took to a sensitive spot on the left side of my chest.  There's a spot on the right side of my chest that would be sensitive if hit, also.  Think about it.  Later when I told Alan, and he apologized up and down.  "Don't worry about it.  I'm a tough chick.  Besides, I should have been wearing my chest protector," I smiled.

Ray and Alan scuffled in the corner in this photo.  Ray got in a couple of quick uppercuts, and Alan worked his jab.  During the last round they sparred, Ray said he needed to go to the men's room.  Alan joked, "I'm not going to give a 240 pound guy time to recover!"  They continued, but then Ray really needed to go, and he had to sprint down the hall. 

Renee was concerned about the amount of people who may show up next Monday.  She said she took the last open spot when she signed up for the winter session online.  "Don't worry. . .half of the people will be gone after two weeks," I said.  Alan agreed, pointing out that some sign up and only show up once or twice.  Some sign up and never come in at all.  But Monday will be packed, as it usually is in January.

No comments: