Thursday, December 29, 2011

Oldest People In The Gym


Alan was the only person inside the gym when I got there.  We figured that probably no one else was coming in due to the holidays.  He and I were talking while shadow boxing,.  I told him that I saw the photo his son Matt had put up of himself and Alan on Facebook.  "One of Matt's female friends saw the picture and said that the both of us were studs.  That made me feel good!" Alan smiled. 

When Ralphie got there about 45 minutes later, Alan and I were in the middle of four rounds of sparring.  The two oldest folks in the place were swinging on each other.  "Did Alan beat up everyone else and scare them off?" Ralphie joked.  Once again, Alan caught me not protecting my middle.  Five times he got me in the gut.  I got in a straight right, and he commented, "Nice."  Then I did an overhand right, which also caught him. 





Afterwards, I worked on the other heavy bag (Ralphie was working on the red bag, as seen in the photo above).  "This bag feels lighter than usual," I thought. A check of the floor below didn't reveal any sand laying around.  Then I noticed no duct tape was on the bag.  The old bag was in the corner, so I guessed Barry must have changed it out the last time he was in the gym.  Despite the lightness, the bag still felt good, especially when I threw my hooks. 

Pastor Roger shared on Facebook that his one year old son is now walking.  I sent him a note stating that I was going to be looking for boxing equipment that fits a toddler so we can start the boy's boxing lessons.  I haven't heard a response yet. . .heh, heh. The pastor's son is in the picture below that was taken some time ago.  Trust me, the kid is bigger than that now.  "All boy", like his mother says.  You can also see from the boy's shirt what sport his dad is more interested in.


 Ralphie showed Alan and I pictures of his child, who is about a year and half old.  "He's trying to walk.  Almost there," he said proudly as he showed us the photos on his cell phone.




The last time I exercised at home, I got on the scale at home and it told me that I lost four pounds.  I wonder if that was real weight or water weight.  I also wonder if it's an indicator that the pounds will finally start moving.  Once I lay off the eggnog when the holidays are over, maybe they'll move faster.

No comments: