Monday, September 26, 2011

Beginning of a Fight Week


Alan made a list of those in the gym who plan to fight in Loyola Park's Annual Boxing Explosion show this Friday.  My name was at the top of the list, followed by Kenny, Jacob, Tony and Ray.  "I would say add Oscar, too, but he hasn't been in for awhile," I told Alan.  "No, I'm not going to put him in," Alan said.  He also decided that Tony shouldn't fight either.  Tony sparred with Kenny and Benjamin.  He was huffing and puffing badly.  It happened too many times before, so Alan told Tony that he couldn't put him in the boxing show mostly for safety reasons.  I understand that Tony smokes, which contributes to him not having the wind power while in the ring. 

Benjamin sparred with Kenny twice.  Kenny was the man of the night as he sparred several rounds with Benjamin and Tony, including three rounds with me.  "That overhand right you gave rang my bell!  You've got to use that and come over the other person's right when you fight," Kenny told me afterwards.  Alan added, "Wait until they get closer to throw punches, then dig into them.  Hillari, you throw too many punches when they are far away.  That's just wasting energy."  I guess I think that's a way to keep them from getting in on me.  In reality, I'm often leaving myself open so the other person can do some real damage. I've got a few days to get it right before I meet Meg or whomever I will have a fight with on Friday.








Of the women, only Melissa and Amy came in.  Sarah was preparing for her daughter's third birthday tomorrow, so she could not make it in tonight.  Alan helped Melissa with her form in regards to throwing left and right hooks. 

Kevin, a bearded guy who rode up to the gym on his bike, also came in.  Tony watched him on the heavy bag and asked did he come in regularly.  "No, Kevin comes in on and off," I answered.  I was trying to remember the last time I saw Kevin, and it might have been sometime back in July.  I don't remember seeing Kevin's name on the class roster, but surprisingly, Igor's name was there.  But Igor comes in even less than Kevin does.  Alan remembered that I told him that Igor did not spar when Steve was the coach.  "Igor sparred with Victor the the last time he was here, but Victor wasn't hitting him hard," Alan said. I didn't notice Igor and Victor sparring; they must have been moving around out on the floor, as I don't remember seeing them in the ring. 

I practiced "The Star Spangled Banner" a little bit today, promising myself that I would sing it quieter, slower and lower than I have in the past at the boxing shows.  Too many times, I want to go into Barbra Streisand mode and belt it out.  But every song doesn't have to be -- or can be -- belted out. 





Alan told me to do an extra workout tomorrow.  I was just thinking that I have to get on the stick about adding extra exercise during the week, especially after watching Olympic boxing hopeful Marlen Esparza's intense workouts on a CNN documentary yesterday.  I need to something purely aerobic, but I also need to focus on getting my overhand rights and uppercuts in order, too.

No comments: