Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ring Without Borders

The post that was barely holding up one corner of the gym was laying down on the canvas when we got into the gym.  It was totally shot; half of the ring was down.  Oscar and I sparred, and we had to be very mindful of where we were moving around.

I was moving like an old elephant, and Oscar was whipping me up.  I did manage to ward off most of his right hooks by keeping my hands up.  His straight on jabs and rights were impossible to avoid, and just as hard to ward off.  "Come on, Hillari!  Pop that jab out there," Alan barked from his position outside the ring.  A few pops backed Oscar up to the side of the ring where the ropes were not up to support him falling back.  But the guy came back extra strong behind that.  I slipped and fell to the canvas; afterwards, my left shoulder was hurting.  Oscar got close and directed a jab to my mid-section.  I covered up, but too late to stop the damage.  The beating went on for three rounds.  After the final bell, I took a seat in front of the fan in the gym for a couple of rounds.



Renee and Ursula agreed to go light for a couple of rounds.  Neither had head gear nor mouthpieces, but they were giving out some pretty vicious hooks to each others' stomachs and heads.  Alan got into the ring to monitor their progress more closely. Ursula dashed off to the women's washroom after the second round, stating that she felt nauseous.  When she returned to the gym, she said she didn't get sick, but felt like she was about to do so.

We did burn-outs at the end.  Amy and I were on one bag, and Renee and Ursula were on the other heavy bag for a couple of rounds.  Then Oscar, his friend (whose name I still don't know), and Marcus did the burn out on the red heavy bag that Amy and I had been on.







The above photo is of Renee, myself, and Alan.  Notice how sweaty I am.  It wasn't that hot inside the gym, but the combination of Oscar's beat down and the burn out really had the water going. 

I told Alan that the underside of my upper lip felt like it had been cut.  A check in my bathroom mirror when I got home showed that it had been seriously bruised.  One of Oscar's punches had landed in my mouth, and I didn't even remember it had. 

No comments: