Monday, March 28, 2011

Spring Newbies and Old Faces

While waiting for Alan to come in, several of us were out in the hallway at Loyola Park, including the new people who showed up for the first day of the spring session.  One of the women, Erica, said that her boyfriend had came to the gym in the past.  He told her that it was alright.  It didn't occur to me to ask who her boyfriend was.  Later on, Matthieu, a Frenchman who used to work out there, came in.  "I'm here to see her," he said, pointing at Erica.  "Oh, you're the boyfriend she was talking about!" I exclaimed.  He has signed up again, and will be in soon.

Robin, another new person who looked to be closer to mine and Alan's age, came in.  "I just want to get in shape.  I think it's a good idea to learn how to throw a punch.  If someone messes with me, I'd like to not fight like a girl.  You know, with the arms flaying in the air," she said.  Neither Erica nor Robin were keen on sparring.

A couple of faces from the past were in the place:  Tommy and Sarah, both of whom used to come in when Steve was the coach.  Sarah used to have long brown hair; she's cut it short.  Tommy's still trying to manage his schedule so he can come back to the gym.   Both he and Sarah asked about JJ, whom I haven't seen in awhile.  "I came in and recognized no one except you," Sarah grinned. 

Kenny and I sparred, and he is quick.  I did catch him once with an overhand right.  That was after I tried to throw a right and slipped and fell to the canvas.  That has been happening too often when I spar.  It makes me feel like the overly clumsy little girl I once was (and I have the scars to prove that).  After our two rounds, he told me he figured I would use that punch sooner or later, because he always notices that I practice throwing it. "You throw that punch well," he said.  He worked with Oscar, Jacob, and another new guy, Derek, on a defensive drill.  They had to block against the one-two-three (jab, right, left hook). 

The place was packed.  I overheard Jacob and Hector joking about how now they would have to take numbers and wait in lines to use the bags and shadow box in the mirrors.  Hector was sparring with Oscar, I believe, when one of his contact lenses slipped and went further up into his left eye.  Eventually, it came back to where it should be, and I was glad. 

My middle and lower back feels a little sore now.  Sigh. . .I think a lot of that is due to how I sleep at night.  I try to sleep on my back, but I tend to favor sleeping on my right side.  Throughout the night, I'm in all kinds of crazy positions, and then here lately, I've been rolling out of the bed onto the floor.  Maybe I'm fighting opponents in my sleep?

No comments: