Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fighting and Faith

After finally getting my taxes done late this afternoon, I took a long walk from Howard Street up to the gym.  Alan was suited up, but I ended up sparring again with Kenny.  Kenny gave me some extremely good pointers after we did a couple of rounds.  First of all, I have a bad habit of not aiming my jab at someone's face.  Kenny was easily able to avoid it by slipping the jab and countering with a right.  I don't move my head (something that Alan also has pointed out before), and that makes me an easy target. 

"You have good body shots.  You know how to box, Hillari. You hit very hard for a female.  That's why I was moving out of the way a lot.  I got hit with one of your body shots, and I was like (expletive deleted)!" Kenny said.  Alan agreed with him.  Kenny continued,  "Since you're short, you should hit from angles."  He asked why I didn't throw hooks.  "I try, but I never seem to be close enough to get any off," I answered.  "You can throw them either close up or from a wide angle", he said, showing me how its done.  We had gotten on the black heavy bag, and Kenny asked me to show him how I throw the hooks.  "That's good!  Why don't you use that?  You should use that!" Kenny exclaimed.

Greg, who hadn't been at the gym for a long time, came in to do a light work out with two of his friends, Robert and another new guy who's name I didn't get, but I will the next time I see him.  Robert and the other new guy plan to take their physical exam with the police department.  They've already taken the written exam.  Other guys present were Derek, Frank, Ray, and Colonel.  Oscar works on Wednesdays, so he's not able to come in on those days. 

Robin did not come in, but Erica and Sarah did.  I forgot to mention to Alan that Sarah has sparred before.  She was another person whose long arms I could not figure out how to get around.  However, with the advice from Kenny, I may now have an edge. 



Alan had told Josh a few weeks ago as we were leaving the field house, "Hillari's knows about the faith", in response to a joke Josh made. . .something about making me Jewish.  Alan and I had another interesting conversation about religion tonight after the gym let out.


It was prompted by me saying, "Pastor Roger's going to talk about me."  "Why?" Alan queried.  "I was talking about perhaps becoming ordained as a wedding officiant.  I was thinking about picking up some extra funds presiding over weddings.  Pastor's conservative.  . .doesn't believe women should be pastors," I answered.  I had seen some churches online that would be willing to ordain people for free.  I can also see Pastor Roger admonishing me if I show up at church with a ordination certificate.  I had joked with the Pastor earlier about preparing a sermon to preach at my church.  As usual, Pastor Roger gave me a look that said, "This chick is nutty." Alan and I hadn't talked about religion in awhile, and I missed those conversations.  I always learn something else about Judaism that I did not know before. I tell Pastor about those conversations from time to time.  Alan once joked and said, "He might think I'm trying to convert you!"

No comments: