Tuesday, February 01, 2011

High Monday Activity

Kenny told me he noticed that I wasn't throwing my uppercuts correctly.  I had been leading with my head, plus, winding the punch back too far before executing it.  He showed me how to throw them shorter and with more leverage using my shoulders.  I appreciated that, and I practiced them most of the evening. 

Alan kept telling me to "turn your back leg!" when I threw my right.  Both knees are jacked up: the left from the car accident a few weeks ago, and the right because it had to take on extra work duty because the left is messed up.  It was hard to get my right knee to cooperate, but it did, eventually. 

A lot of guys were in the gym Monday night: Hector, Kenny, Willie, Oscar, Michael (with glasses), Professor, Danny, Frank, Hayk, Vil.  Jordan was there, too.  His name was on the attendance sheet, so I guess he's paid up.  No Angela that night -- she's the only other woman signed up for the gym this session.  Josh, Jamil and Leon didn't come in, either, nor did Sadiq, whom I saw driving a cab while I was on my way to church on Sunday.  Kenny told me that Chloe had come by last Wednesday and asked about me.  I'm sorry I missed her.

The Colonel was there, which was a surprise.  Hadn't seen him in a few years.  I learned that he's Kenny's dad.  The Colonel -- so nicknamed because he's a Vietnam veteran -- is pretty amazing.  "This is my second workout of the day.  I did Jiu Jitsu this morning," he told me.  In the past, the Colonel had done triathalons.  For 30 years, he taught fitness classes at the McCormick Boys' Center.  He's 64 years old and looked to be in great shape.  He plans to come by the boxing gym more often.

A lot of activity was going on: Frank sparred with Michael, and that was their second time (they had sparred last Wednesday); Oscar sparred with Kenny; Willie was holding pads for people; and Professor had some of the guys doing push ups.  The way Jordan was hitting the speed bag, I thought for a moment that he might break it.  Hector was surprised at how busy the place was.  "It usually gets like this before the Golden Gloves," I said. 

No comments: