Thursday, October 21, 2010

Another Fall Night In The Gym

It was very quiet in the gym, when I realized the radio wasn't on.  I turned it on before Jamil and Ralphie sparred.  Even with people in the gym, the place can seem very silent at times.

Ralphie had about seven rounds of sparring.  He was in with Jamil about four times, and in the ring with me twice.  Jamil is very good at throwing double jabs with his right hand (he's a southpaw), but Ralphie didn't get caught very often.  He's very good at slipping and ducking. 

Jamelle, Danny and Eric did not spar.  Eric told me his wife's date to give birth to their son was yesterday, but no baby yet.  They'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow to make a decision about whether to induce labor or not.  Meanwhile, Heather and Johan, members of my church, finally had their baby daughter yesterday. 

Yale stopped in with news of a boxing match to take place in November.  He asked to make an event page for it on Facebook, and I did.  Fres Oquendo and "King David" Estrada are scheduled to meet and greet fans at the event.

As I was packing up to go at the end of the evening, I thought to myself that even if I could not compete and/or do the workout anymore, I would still be involved in boxing for the rest of my life.  I just enjoy the atmosphere and comraderie so much that I could not see myself not having it in my life.  Where this is most apparent is if I've had a rough day or a so-so day before arriving at the gym.   Boxing just seems to make things better. 

No comments: