Friday, September 11, 2009

What's Up With The Calendar?

Alan called Arturo, who is the coach over at Eckhart Park.  According to the Park District boxing show calendar posted in the gym, there's a boxing show scheduled for today.  Alan was trying to get fights for Oscar, Carlos, and myself.  "I'm weighing people right now," Arturo told Alan.  "What do you mean you're weighing people?" Alan asked.  Turned out that the boxing show was taking place the day Alan called.  That's the second time a date has found to be wrong on the calendar.  I'm going to go to the Park District's actual web site to double check the dates.

I was looking at some pink Everlast boxing gloves in a catalog the other day.  They're cute, but I don't think I would actually buy a pair in that color.  I do have a pair of red ones buried at home.  I used to joke that I picked the red color to match the blood of my opponents.

Yesterday, I stopped in a sporting goods store to see if they had any kettlebell exercise videos.  The fitness equipment section, where the exercise DVDs were, was on the top floor of the building.  No kettlebell DVDs, but they had some limited boxing equipment.  I saw an Everlast heavy bag, and wished that I could put one in my apartment.  It's doubtful that my landlord would let me hang one.  Fortunately, there are free-standing ones available.

Great heavy bags by Ringside and Everlast.

This past Wednesday, the crowd was small.  Ralphie, Oscar, and Johnny came in.  Ralphie battered Johnny several times while they sparred.  Johnny wasn't throwing many punches back after awhile; the man was noticeably tired.  Near the end of the last round they did, Ralphie did a dramatic fall against the ropes after Johnny landed a light punch on him.  Ralphie shook his head as if he had been stunned.  We all laughed about that.  Johnny said he saw the same trick done during a professional fight.  When the opponent came in for the kill, the boxer who was playing injured nailed him.

Oscar and I sparred, and my energy was high during the first round.  I stunned him several times with rights to the head.  I still have to concentrate on throwing hooks more.  I was winded most of the second round, but managed to hang in there, pinning Oscar against the ropes and in the corners a few times.  "That was the best I'd ever seen you spar," Alan told me.

Carlos and Justin were no shows, and I was a little disappointed.  I had brought my Kindergarten class picture in to show Justin, who started school this week.  Alan was amazed that I still had my class picture from back then.  Unfortunately, I only have that class picture, plus the ones from second, fifth and eighth grades.  The other class pictures were destroyed (don't ask), and I don't remember sitting for a third grade class picture.  Ralphie and Johnny guessed which kid I was right away.  Alan made wrong guesses until I pointed myself out. 

No comments: