Thursday, July 09, 2009

Promise To Pastor

I came by the church today to do some work on my laptop. It was cheaper than going to the coffee house and having to buy food and drinks in order to sit at one of their tables. "I kept my promise and didn't spar last night," I informed Pastor. "Don't you feel better, energized, happy?" he said with a grin. He went on to say that I needed time to heal.

"You should have told him you just had a headache," Alan told me yesterday. "That's why he admonished you. Or else that you were boxing for God." I didn't think of that one. There are always people who say, no matter what they are doing, "I'm doing it for the Lord!" "We need to get him to come in here," Alan continued. It would be a good idea for Pastor to come in and look around. I know his wife Virginia is concerned with him losing a little weight.

Nicole came in with Julio, but she didn't stay long. She appeared to be tired, and she probably wanted to go home early. Leon showed up during the last ten to fifteen minutes of the evening, and wasn't able to get a workout in. E didn't stay long either; I think his thumb is still bothering him.

Alan noticed my bag gloves and thought they were new. "Oh, no. I've had these for a few years," I told him. There is a little tear on one of the gloves near the wrist. I will have to replace them eventually. I don't have a pair of regular boxing gloves, mainly because the gym has both sparring and bag gloves available. But it might be a good idea to have my own pair.

Punch in style with women's boxing gloves by Everlast.

Gary came in to workout. He and Alan agreed that Raymond would make a good pro boxer. Raymond started training with Barry and Steve a few years ago. He's now a grown man with a full-time job. Raymond comes in to train once in awhile. He can't always do that because he's busy with other things. That's how it is for a lot of the young guys who were once always hanging in the gym. They go to school (like Mort), they move away (like Ike), they have a kid, their jobs keep them busy, etc.

No comments: