Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fighting With The Sidewalk

I should have waited to put my roller skates on until I got to one of the empty parking lots around Loyola University. But no, I mistakenly thought I could skate there all the way from my apartment during Sunday afternoon. A fall I took as I reached the other side of a busy street made me change my mind. "How in the hell did I skate on the street when I was a kid?" I thought to myself. The pair of roller skates I had back then had metal wheels on them, but somehow, I was able to deal with the cracks and bumps on the pavement. My past youth and lost flexibility must have had a lot to do with that. I did get to the parking lot, and skated longer than I should have, ignoring the cries of my right knee.

Luckily, I had a pair of skating gloves on, so my hands didn't get scraped up. Unfortunately, most of my weight was on my left hand and arm when I connected with the ground. I iced my hand and arm up that night, but it still hurt all day yesterday. I avoided the heavy bags Monday night, and of course, sparring was out.

A guy was in the gym who looked familiar to me, but I couldn't place him at first. "I'm Brendon. I was here back in 2005," he said. He lost some weight, and he seemed to have become taller. He smiled when I told him I remembered his daughter Briana. "She's seven years old today," he beamed.

Jamie was asking about the tear drop bag in the gym. It wasn't there the last time he was attending on a regular basis. "It's good for hooks, uppercuts and body shots," I told him. I had to avoid that bag, too. Even hitting the speed bag and double end bag was aggravating my left hand. I did a lot of shadow boxing last night. I really need to take care of my hands better than I do.

Get your boxing gloves and equipment for less.

Alan announced that Leon has a show fight lined up this Wednesday. It's going to be at a country club in Lincolnwood. I would love to see him fight, but I have to open up the gym for the others that evening.

My aches and pains have officially become a running joke between Pastor Roger and myself. This morning, Pastor walked into my office, grinned, and asked something along the lines of, "How did you injure yourself this time?" I've shown up to just about every job I've had since 1976 with an injury at one time or another. It's only been in the last eight years that a lot of the injuries have been from boxing. Before that, it was mostly due to roller, in-line and ice skating.

No comments: