Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Only Woman

Alan sparred with Oscar last night, and he wore headgear that had a faceguard on it. Josh commented that he thought that was good headgear. The faceguard may offer a little bit of protection from getting a broken nose, but like most headgear, it will not prevent a knockout.

Matthew was there, and he told me he's been doing a lot of weight lifting at Clarendon Park. His goal is to become an MMA fighter. Since Matthew has also trained in boxing, he's one up on a lot of MMA guys who don't throw punches well, nor are able to take a lot of punches.

Alfred and I sparred. "You can hit her harder, she can take it," Alan told him, but Alfred and I had agreed to go light before we stepped in the ring. Alfred caught me in the face with a right cross, but it only stung for a second. I had a feeling if that right cross had full power behind it, I might have found myself looking up at the ceiling.

E hurt his thumb again while sparring. He had sprained it before. I think he sparred with Jamil. He had ice on it when he and his little boy left the gym.

Several minutes passed before I realized that I was the only woman in the gym. Ieisha, Nicole and Tanya did not come in. It reminded me of when I first started going to Loyola Park, and I was the only woman in the gym for about a year. Just like now, I was sparring with the guys.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Hey, Hillari.
I am interested in in-context advertising for my boxing equipment on Boxing MidLife. If you do such things, please let me know and I'll send you some more info. My email is aaron@boxingdepot.com



All the best.



--
Aaron
http://www.boxingdepot.com