Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Little Woman vs. Tall Woman

Nicole and I were the first to spar last night. I did a much better job of covering up, so my head didn't get knocked around as much. I punched back a little harder than I did the last time. Alan told me that I have to get in closer on her to get in the overhand rights. I throw them, but I'm usually too far away to make them effective.

Manny came in with his adorable little girl, Anjolie. "She's gotten bigger since the last time you saw her, hasn't she?" he said, giving a proud papa smile. Anjolie put on a pair of bag gloves and was hitting the heavy bags. Manny also held pads for her as she playfully hit them.

E didn't bring his son with him yesterday. "He wanted to stay with the women," he explained. I've gotten so used to his son being in the gym that I miss him when I don't see him.

Alan sparred with Oscar. Alan was not wearing headgear, and Oscar was catching him in the back of his neck with punches. Manny was telling Oscar not to do that. "He's short, and he can't help it," Alan said. He caught Oscar in the face a few good times, but Oscar kept coming forward. "Oscar is like a pit bull," Alan commented after they were finished.

The gym was rather full. JJ came in to get a workout, stating that he was taking a day off from training at Evanston Boxing Club. Steve, the former coach, had been in town for a few days, and JJ saw him. I wish I could have seen him, too; I miss him.

Julio sparred with Jamil, and Julio was worn out afterwards. Jamil got Julio in the face several times, and I could have sworn that Julio's headgear had been knocked a little crooked. Jeremy, a guy who trained with Alan at Clarendon Park, was also in attendance. Ieisha didn't come in, but I remembered her saying that she mentors children one night of the week.

I had a lot of energy after Nicole and I sparred. I was on both heavy bags for several rounds. If only I had that burst of energy every day! It sure would make my life a lot easier.

No comments: