Thursday, May 07, 2009

Ricky Hatton and Other Topics

I would have been mad if I had actually opted for the pay-per-view of the Ricky Hatton/Manny Pacquiao fight. It only lasted five minutes! Pacquiao stepped around Hatton and caught him with a left hook. Before that, he had jacked the Englishman up with a left-right-left-right hook combination. Now people are suggesting that the 30-year-old Hatton retire.

Not very many people came into the gym last night, so it was quite, even with the radio on in the background. I actually missed seeing little Markel there; I've gotten used to him hanging around. Oscar, John, Katie, Sadiq and Kevin were in attendance.

The round punching pad, or "doughnut" as Steve used to call it, was missing on Monday. It was back in its usual spot last night. I held it for John, who wanted to work on his lateral movement.

Kevin told me that he wants to sign up for the Golden Gloves next year. "I want to get six months of good training in," he said. He asked me about getting fights other than through the Gloves and the Park District. I told him about the show fights that take place at bars and private venues like golf clubs. I have good memories of when I used to attend a lot of those type fights with Steve and the other guys that used to come into the gym. I'll have to ask Alan if he ever takes any boxers to those shows.

No comments: