Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"But, She'll Kick My. . . !"

Alan's suggestion to the women in the gym that they spar last night, didn't go over well. All of them begged off. Melanie wasn't going to, but then she asked me questions about about it. "Have you ever had a fight with anyone before?" I asked out of curiosity. "No, I've never been in a fight in my life," she said. "I was in a lot of fist fights when I was younger, so boxing was just a natural progression," I chuckled.

Later, I heard Alan asking her about sparring again, and she told him, "But, Hillari will kick my ass!" I promised Melanie that I would go easy on her, and I did. That's my rule: if I'm sparring with a woman, and I know she hasn't had much experience, I do not go hard. It's not fair to them. Guys, on the other hand, regardless of what experience they've had, I whale on them (smile).

Alan said he didn't mind that sparring went on while he was gone, but he didn't think that Mary would approve. As a rule, I won't let anyone spar while he's gone anymore, regardless of the fact that I'm now registered as a coach. Steve would only let people spar when he was out if Nate Sr. or Barry happened to be hanging around the gym that day.

I emailed Steve to tell him about getting my coach's license. I also updated him on what's been going on at Loyola Park since he's been gone. Steve has been following JJ and Edward's progress in the Golden Gloves.

Speaking of Barry and Nate Sr., both of them were in the gym when I got there last night. Barry had his little girl, Laila, with him. Finally solved the mystery of the digital scale being left out and unlocked. Barry wants to keep it ready to weigh the guys in who have tournament matches coming up. Edward was also getting in extra practice. His match at the Golden Gloves finals takes place on Saturday. He assured me that he was going to bring it when he steps into the ring. "I know that's right!" I told him. Edward is hungry, and he looked very good against his last opponent during the semi-finals.

No comments: