Friday, August 22, 2008

Freeze Out

Barry told me yesterday there's a hiring freeze at the Chicago Park District. Earlier in the day, I saw that Steve's job was no longer listed among the open positions on the park district's web site. I assumed they had begun the hiring process. I hadn't been called, but that was okay. I just want the adult boxing gym to re-open. Little did I know what was really happening. It's anybody's guess as to when the adult boxing program will resume.

It's been a couple a months, and I'm concerned about having been away from the gym for so long. I could go sign up for boxing at one of the other fieldhouses that offer it. However, Loyola Park is the closest one to me. Public transportation being what it is, makes it damn hard to get around anywhere else these days. Now that I've been working part-time at my church -- which I can walk to -- I have little patience for trains and buses.

I plan to check out the Chicago Boxing Club this weekend, but I already know my limited budget can't cover their fees. Honestly, signing up for boxing at another park district fieldhouse would also put a bit of a strain on my budget.

I'm at a loss as to what to do right now. Regardless of the fact that I'm not allowed to compete, I would still like to do the workout. I also need to be plugged into the Chicago boxing community so I can go for my amateur coach's license. I don't want to give up boxing completely because of current circumstances.