Monday, May 05, 2008

The Right Coach

Barry called me last night, and we talked for a long time. He's concerned about who the park district may hire to replace Steve. I don't blame him. Unfortunately, neither Barry or Mary will have input into the hiring process. That'll all be done downtown. From what Steve told me a couple of months ago, the application process has become more strict, as well. The park district wants everyone to have a degree. Uh, I can buy someone having to have a degree in physical education to teach in the exercise and sports programs, but there is no degree in boxing.

I told Barry that I would have applied for Steve's job, but I still don't have a coach's license. "You can get one. All you have to do is take the test. I think that if you were the coach, between you and I, the program could stay competitive," Barry told me. Now I'm thinking I might apply after all to provide consistency and continuity. After all, most folks who've come in there for a while know me. They might be skittish about having to deal with someone totally new. It wouldn't hurt to put in an application. The worst that could happen is that I don't get the job.

The new coach has to be able to work with Barry. Barry is essentially the head coach. He's been with the park district for over 20 years. It wouldn't do to have someone in there who can't mesh with him.

There was also concern on Barry's part about characters rolling into the gym now that Steve is gone. As soon as word gets around that no one's minding the store per se, I can see some attempting to treat the place like it's an open gym. I've documented the more annoying incidents involving adults and kids strolling in off the street too many times on this blog. I don't like dealing with that kind of stuff, but I know how to handle it when it happens. Barry told me stories of similar incidents happening when the kids are in the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
We both agreed that the squash on that stuff has to be consistent and immediate.

It may be weeks before someone is hired. I'm thinking the summer session might be half-way done before a new coach is put in place. In the meantime, I'll be in my usual spot, holding down the fort until that happens.

No comments: