Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Four Enter For Short Night

Steve called earlier today and asked if I could open the gym instead of going to the Golden Gloves to see Mike fight. He was concerned about the gym being closed another day due to the tournament. I agreed, especially since it is close to the Spring session beginning. Newcomers might come in, and they did.

The newbies were Jim, Mark, Tony, and Samantha (Sam was how she introduced herself). I didn't go over much, just basic footwork and the jab.

Paris and Jordan showed up with a friend of theirs, who looked as if he wanted to work out. It seemed that Paris and Jordan waited until they got their friend to the gym to tell him he couldn't touch the equipment unless he was signed up.

People cleared out of the gym at 8:00 PM, which was very early. I was going to stay until the end, but something told me to leave, too. A basketball game was going on elsewhere in the fieldhouse, and people were roaming around. It was probably best to cut down on kids and others just strolling in the gym just because the door was open. I remembered the guy who shuffled in last week and attempted to tell me how to hit the speed bag, and I bristled. After putting things away, I was out early.

Steve called not long after I arrived home. He said that Mike did a very good job during his fight this evening, the best that he's seen out of him. Mike won, so he's in the finals, which is excellent. It's JJ's turn tomorrow night at the Gloves, and I'm hoping he gets to the finals, too.

Come to think of it, I did see Percy at the Golden Gloves the other day I was there. He was working the gloves table like he did the year before. He explained to me that he was getting over a bad flu.

No comments: