Saturday, February 23, 2008

Return To Friday

I wasn't at the gym this past Wednesday because of a cold. When I came in yesterday, I learned that I had missed some craziness.

Igor, who was attending the gym when I first started there six years ago, stopped in with his girlfriend. Igor's command of English was never that good, and according to Steve, it hadn't became any better since the last time he saw him. Steve figured out that Igor wanted to bring in ten boxers to train at Loyola Park. The boxers would pay Igor, and Igor would use the space. That was a no-no, because Loyola Park is a Chicago Park District gym, not a private one. Steve steered Igor over to Antonio's MMA gym instead.

Jordan, who hadn't been there all of last week, popped up on Wednesday. He was bugging Steve about working with him in the gym. Jordan just doesn't seem to get it. No matter how many times Steve has told him that he has to be more consistent in his showing up to the gym, it doesn't sink in. Neither does any of the advice that JJ, Mike, or any of the other guys who've been there for awhile, seem to take in Jordan's mind, either.

On Thursday, I was working out at the Englewood site. Ashanti and Diana, two of the Early Childhood staff persons, expressed their regret at my having to leave the agency. Les decided to resign after 30 years. As a result, the agency decided not only not to fill his position, but they decided to close down the office that only he and I were in. My job was eliminated; I'll be out after the first week of March. No, it's not cool the way everything went down, but on the positive side, I won't have to ask Les if I can leave early for the City-Wide Tournament and the Golden Gloves, which both jump off in March.

Ashanti told me that she used to participate in Muy Thai, but hadn't had the chance to take it up in awhile. She'd like to get back to it. Diana was surprised that I boxed. Les had mentioned it to her some time ago, but she thought he was joking. While I was talking to them in the cafeteria, Les walked in. "That is a pastime of hers," he told them.

No comments: