Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Judgement Call

Maybe I judged Jordan a little too harshly in my last entry. Steve saw potential in the 21 year old, while I grumbled about what came across as rudeness and inconsiderate behavior out of Jordan. I have a habit of judging folks too fast. But to an extent, the jury is still out.

Jordan showed up this past Friday with a friend of his. The friend wanted to get into professional boxing. That was all good and fine, with the exception of the fact that the friend was the same age as I am. The guy had also lost a lot of time due to a drug habit that he said he's kicked. He sang the same song I've heard younger guys who've come into the gym say: "I want to make money." Steve explained to him that Illinois has tough boxing licensing rules. Amateur boxers over the age of 35 have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get licensed. The possibility of a middle aged boxer be allowed to turn pro is extremely remote. The guy brought up George Forman and some other boxers who fought past 35 years of age. "They started when they were teenagers and young men," I pointed out.

I was sick on Monday and Tuesday of this week, and I stayed home from work. A cold suddenly came upon me on Sunday, and I was caught without the "care package" supplies that diabetics are supposed to have when they become ill. I had to go out briefly to get something to eat. I saw Jordan crossing the street while smoking a cigarrette. It was the middle of the day, so I assumed he either has no job, or works part-time. There seems to be too many young men in that situation these days.

No comments: