Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Standing For The Winners

Took two trains to get out to the City-Wide Boxing Tournament last night. Surprisingly, there were no major problems traveling there, considering the public transportation system has started another renovation project. It looked as if the fights had just started when I walked inside Curie High School, where the matches took place.

Five of the boys -- David, Diego, Kevin, Montrell and Nate Jr. -- competed. David was the only one who lost. Mary commented that it might have been David's first time in the ring. Montrell was up against a kid who didn't appear to be intimidated by him. Montrell's brother, Michael, yelled out instructions from ringside as he taped the match with a video camera. Montrell won his match. It also looked as if all the boys had received new haircuts before their fights.

Mike caught his opponent in the corners and against the ropes several times. Steve was encouraging Mike to take his time and not just throw a barrage of punches. Mike won, so he, like the four boys, go on to the finals on Thursday. I stood up the whole time, not wanting to sit in the hard bleachers to view the fights.

Two guys who had been MIA at the Gloves were there -- Barry and Catchings, the boxing photographer. I was glad to see them both.

Steve drove me home, which is always nice of him and very appreciated by me. That's the main reason I opted to take the train down to the tournament rather than hitch a ride with him. He's always driving the boxers around, which is wear and tear on his car, as well as gas money spent. I figure if I can get to most matches on my own, I'll do that and get a ride back. Les, my boss, is usually good about allowing me to come into work early so I can leave early to get to matches. However, I don't want to abuse the privilege, so I don't ask him all the time.

On the way home, I told Steve I wouldn't be in the gym tonight. He joked, "Where are your priorities?" There's always a Wednesday choir rehearsal the day before Maundy Thursday, which is observed by my church. I'm doing a reading in the middle of the songs the choir is singing on Easter. Margaret told me it was crucial that I have to be there tonight. I did tell her that if Mike won on Tuesday, that I wouldn't be at Maundy Thursday service, however. I always regret missing last year's finals when Sadiq won, because I went to church instead. I don't want to miss if Mike or the boys win this time around.

Steve told me that the City-Wide Tournament, which is named for boxer Tony Zale, used to be a bigger event than it is now. It only runs two days, when it used to run three. Adult boxers aren't encouraged to sign up for it as in the past. The tournament has turned into a youth-orientated event. It also began after the Chicago Golden Gloves, not during the break between the Gloves' semi-finals and finals. Many guys who competed in the Gloves would turn around and compete in the Zale City-Wide, but that doesn't happen much anymore.

No comments: