Friday, April 06, 2007

Finals At Curie

Last night, I got to Curie High School about five minutes before any of the fights started at the Tony Zale City-Wide Boxing Tournament. Things seemed to go quicker than they had on Tuesday.

Patrick, a boy I had seen around the fieldhouse before, but not in the gym, had one of the early fights. He lost, and the kids around him were telling him what he should have done afterwards. Didn't sound like they had much tact, either. I thought, "The boy probably feels down, so why are they making it worse?"

Toby (Kevin) was straight out robbed of a decision during his fight. He clearly dominated the kid he was in the ring with. Toby was very light on his feet, and he danced around his opponent after getting off some clear shots. Steve and I were confused, as we had no idea how the judges came to their conclusion.

Diego easily won over his opponent. I like how his dad, mom and his sisters totally support him in boxing. His dad was in his corner during the match.

Mike had a hard time with his opponent, a guy who was just a little more tougher than he was. Mike rushed the guy several times in reaction to being hit, but to no avail, as he lost the fight. "That guy was throwing some hard shots, and he caught me a few times. If he had hit me a few more times like that, I might have been out," Mike said afterwards. His friend, Bill, was at the tournament, and I told him that Mike had mentioned he was having a birthday party. "Yeah, Mike's gonna be thirty, can you believe it?" Bill said. Mike looks a lot younger than that; he has a baby face.

Montrell's fight was the last of the evening, right behind Mike's. He fought a kid named Ed, who was pretty good. "Ed is good," Nate Sr. told me earlier that night, "but I believe Montrell can handle him." Ed had a lot of supporters who crowded around the ring during the fight. The two boys were punching fast and hard, especially during the second half of the 2nd round and most of the third round. Montrell's hand was raised in victory, and Ed's supporters were not happy as they booed the decision.

No comments: