Monday, March 26, 2007

Junior's Loss and Antonio's Surprise

J.J. met Orpheus, a guy he spars with at the Evanston Boxing Club, in the ring this past Saturday night, and all did not go well. He was fine when he kept Orpheus in the middle of the ring. When Orpheus caught him up against the ropes and in the corners, that's where J.J. got into trouble. I felt bad for him afterwards. I never know quite what to say when one of the guys lose, and I don't want to say something that's going to pour more salt on the wound.

Later in the evening, Antonio (Tony), the MMA fighter who comes into the gym sometimes, had a match. His coach didn't bring any of his gear, so J.J. let him borrow some of his. I was worried because I've seen how Tony fared in sparring sessions against J.J. and Sadiq. However, Tony beat down his opponent in a stunning upset.

Only three guys are left in the Golden Gloves: Keith, Mort and Javonta.

Yesterday, Muhammad, J.J., myself, Nate Sr., and Keith were in the gym. A father and son duo, Tracy Sr. and Tracy Jr. came in; Tracy Jr. sparred with J.J., and that kid was fast and good. I couldn't believe he was only 14 years old. He carried himself like a guy much older. Muhammad and I commented to each other how tough Tracy Sr. appeared to be as a coach. The older man explained that he was trying to help his son get a scholarship to U of Michigan. The son plans to become a chemical engineer in the future.

There was also talk of attending different tournaments. I was thinking about going to the Ringside Tournament in late July, but Steve won't be able to go. I haven't filled out the application yet, but I may be able to go with another coach. It's a matter of finding out who definately will go, and if I can scare up the travel funds.

No comments: