Monday, December 04, 2006

Tournament Style

Steve had some of the guys sparring in a tournament-style manner this past Friday, to get them used to what that is. Junior and I scored the matches along with Steve.

Jose was in at one point against Sadiq, who promptly popped him in the nose. That session was stopped because Jose was bleeding on the canvas. Tall Joe had a session stopped on him, too, after he was overwhelmed by Sadiq. Unfortunately, Tony did not come that night, although he seemed very enthusiastic about participating in the sparring sessions.

Danny surprised me by telling me he sings in the choir at his church. He also said that he enjoys the services. I never think of any of the guys as being particularly religious, except for Muhammad, who is a Muslim. Occassionally, Junior will ask me questions about God and the Bible, but he admits he hasn't been to church in a long while.

Raymond, a guy who trained originally with Barry, showed up with a friend of his named Alexis. It appeared that Alexis was hyped up about going to the gym, but once she got there and found out what was really involved, she backed down. Raymond and Steve talked with her, and I tried to be encouraging, but it didn't seem to do any good. I doubt that she'll return.

No comments: