Thursday, November 16, 2006

Tony's Request and Lan's Return

Yes, this is a picture of me, taken some time ago for a church bulletin board. I have plans to actually post some pictures of the gym on here soon.

Tony, the MMA pro, asked if Steve would work his corner during an upcoming fight he has. "Man, I don't know anything about MMA!" Steve told him, but Tony assured him there would be a cut person in the corner also, who is experienced with MMA bouts. Steve agreed to do it, and I'll be curious as to how it turns out.

Lan came in last night, and it was so good to see her! She is fresh off of doing military duties in Missouri. She explained that she will be attending officers' school in a few months. Lan said that she hadn't been doing much in boxing since she was gone, but it didn't seem that way. Her work on the bags looked as if she hadn't missed a beat. Steve told her that she and Racquel would probably be well-matched sparring partners, as they are about the same weight.

Junior came in with a new haircut, given to him by Mort. "It looks terrible!" he kept saying. Mort had cut all of Junior's hair off. A little peach fuzz was left, but other than that, it looked fine to me.

Amazingly, the radio stayed on the station I put it on the entire evening. Not that I care if one of the guys changes the station. It's a running joke to me to see how long before they notice the station is not playing the constant hip-hop they like. I had it on the smooth jazz station, and a Luther Vandross song came on. Tommy said, "That's Luther! I still miss him!" "So do I," I said. Tommy walked over to Jermaine, and told me, "Watch this." He asked Jermaine who was singing on the radio. "Gerald Levert?" Jermaine answered. Both singers are now deceased, true enough, but Jermaine wasn't even close. Both Tommy and I fell out laughing. "These young folks don't know anything about old school music!" he said.

1 comment:

Gary Digital Williams said...

Hello, Hillari!

As one boxing fan to another, I wish you well in your boxing training.

If you are interested in reading a blog about boxing in the Washington, DC/Baltimore area, please feel free to visit my blog, Boxing Along The Beltway at http://boxingalongthebeltway.blogspot.com

Hope to make your acquaintance soon.

Take care!