Monday, October 09, 2006

Three Hard Rounds

Erin did not come in the gym on Friday night, so Crystal did not get to spar. I ended up sparring with Sarah. "I want you two to do three hard rounds," Steve said. Whoops. I hadn't been exactly eating healthy the whole week, and had slacked off on exercising the other days as well. Time for me to get my behind whipped again, I thought as I stepped into the ring.

Sarah's punches came flying consistently, as they always do. However, this time, I did manage to avoid some of them. Not a lot, just a few. Steve kept saying, "Don't stand right in front of her. Move around!" I don't know why I just stand there and take punches like that. Has to be some psychological issue that has yet to be resolved. I attempted to throw body shots, since I am much shorter. It was harder to be an inside fighter than I thought. Sarah's arms were in the way, and I could hardly get close enough. The next idea was to go for her face and head. About three or four times, my right hand connected. Surprised the hell out of me.

When the rounds were over, I literally laid down in the middle of the ring. During the sparring, I noticed Crystal and Helen off to the side watching. Later Crystal told me, "When you hit her, you really hit her!" Sadiq said in amazement, "I had never seen you spar before!" Sarah touched her lip and said, "You got me good. I think I'm going to be puffy later on."

After Steve dropped me off, I trudged upstairs to my aparment and collasped on my couch for several minutes. Sarah had caught me hard in the head with one of her punches, and the spot was tender. Hadn't been that tired and sore in awhile. Sparring always points out to me that I need to do more exercise. That is especially true now that I won't be able to roam outside for long periods of time for much longer due to the weather.

No comments: