Thursday, October 05, 2006

Adventures In Coaching

Hmm. . .I have a lot to learn about coaching. I've spent extra time over the past couple of weeks going over the boxing books I have. Still feel a little unsure at times, though. Makes me glad that Steve and Barry are nearby.

Crystal (I think I've been calling the girl "Kristin") came in last night, and we worked on footwork and combinations. I put on a pair of punch mitts, being mindful of how I badly broke a nail using them a few weeks ago. That nail is finally growing back. The mitts I had on were a pair of Steve's, and they were more stable than the others I had used. I should bring in the mitts I have at home in the closet. They are practically brand new.

I saw that Crystal needs more practice with her footwork. She starts out a little crooked in her stance, which translates into not exactly being in proper position for footwork. She gets the concept, however. It's just a matter of fine tuning it. She's also a southpaw, which means I have to think of the punches in the opposite direction, since I'm right-handed. One of the boxing books I have is unusual as the boxers in the pictures are both southpaws. They use terms like front jab and rear foot to avoid saying "left" or "right". I found myself explaining the punches to Crystal like that last night as not to confuse myself.

Steve suggested that Crystal and Erin spar together on Friday. Crystal told me she has sparred once; Erin hasn't sparred at all, but she's been working with Steve on the mitts. Neither Steve or I were sure if Erin had a mouthpiece. There aren't any extra ones in the gym, I don't think. If Crystal doesn't show up, or she doesn't want to spar, Steve suggested that I spar with Erin. I have to watch my right hand if I do. Like my late dad, I have heavy hands.

Tony called around 11:00 PM last night. ESPN Classic was showing an hour of Joe Frazier's fights, so I didn't answer my phone. I usually don't answer it that late anyway. The message light on the caller ID went on. When I checked it during a commercial break, all I heard was Tony hanging up his phone. He's done that before, and it never ceases to be annoying. The last few times he did that, he had the nerve to admit he had listened to my outgoing message a few times. Uh, voice mail is designed to leave messages for the person who is being called. Not that I want to talk to him--he's already written off--but common courtesy is in order.

Have to let Margaret, the choir director at my church, know that I won't be in rehearsal next week due to Hamlin Park's boxing show. I already know that is not going to go over well, especially since the choir will probably start going over Christmas music soon.

No comments: