Thursday, October 19, 2006

Familiar Faces and Citizenship

John, who used to come in on a regular basis, showed up to work out last night. He's a lawyer by trade, I believe. His young son, Josh, came in after finishing up a basketball game. John had competed in the Golden Gloves back in the 1970s, when he was a teen (I don't think John is much older than I am). "They used 12 ounce gloves, and no headgear," he said.

The bigger surprise was seeing Betty, who used to attend the gym a year or so ago. Her aunt blessed her with a car, so now she believes she'll be able to come back and workout. I sparred with her once--she has to be nearly 6 feet tall. She's not fat, but she's not a small woman, either. Her fist came down on my head during the last round we sparred. My neck hurt and I had a slight headache for awhile.

Sadiq asked Steve to help him fill out an application for citizenship. Sadiq is originally from Nigeria. He wants to be very careful that he fills out the forms correctly. I noticed that he had to fill out two sets, and both of them looked like novels. There's no doubt that in the post 9/11 world, the government is making it even harder for someone to become a citizen.

No comments: