Friday, October 27, 2006

Barking Out Orders

Wednesday evening was really a productive time in the gym. I taught uppercuts and some defense to Rachel and Helen. The gym was rather full, which was surprising to me. It had rained late that afternoon, and the ground was slippery with the falling leaves. I had expected that many people wouldn't come in.

Steve was not feeling well. Poor guy seems to always have a sore throat and other cold/flu symptoms every time I turn around, especially this time of year. He had also did some damage to a rotator cuff, so there wasn't a whole lot he was able to do that night. He called for the fighters to do interval training. "Could you keep them pumped up throughout the exercise? I can barely talk," he said. Five rounds were done. I sat on the side, barking out encouragement and orders as people alternated between punching the heavy bags at half-speed, then as fast as they could. "Keep your guard up! Don't lose your form! Go, go, go!" I admit I got carried away a few times, continuing to yell after the round had ended. It was fun.

No Crystal again, although I hope she comes in on Friday. Joe, who hadn't been in for awhile, surprised all by coming in. He drove Steve and I home in a car he brought from Junior. It's an old beater that has some problems, but luckily, Joe knows a little about fixing cars. If I knew more about the inner workings of autos, I would probably go pick up an old car and fix it up. Public transportation is just horrible in Chicago right now -- constant reroutes due to construction, and endless delays. Another couple of train lines have been moved around due to a bad building fire a few days ago. The building is right next to the tracks, and there is fear that debris may fall on the passing trains. A car has become a necessity for me, not a luxury.

No comments: