Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Competition Blues

Got my hopes up when I saw an annoucement that the 2005 National Female Golden Gloves are next month. As usual, they were dashed to the rocks when I saw the registration form that stipulated it was for fighters between the ages of 17 - 34.

The only major arena where boxers over the age of 35 is the Ringside Amateur Boxing Tournament that takes place in Kansas every summer. They have a section for Masters boxers there. Myself and some of the folks in the gym were planning to go this past August, but we neither got our individual schedules or money together.

Won't be long before the Chicago Golden Gloves are up, but I can forget about being a participant there. For the past couple of years, they've eliminated the Masters championship due to lack of participants.

Another option would be White Collar Boxing, which is catching on in popularity. I would have to check on age and weight requirments, but that may be a possibility.

No comments: