Wednesday, January 08, 2020

Patience and Breakage


The one uppercut bag in the gym crashed down to the floor while Richard, who returned to the program after a couple of years, was using it.  I knew one of the bags in the gym would fall eventually, but I thought it would be one of the heavy bags.  I have a new one in the supply room, but I will need help in putting it up. 

Speaking of returns, Jamire's appearance, after having been gone for three years, wasn't exactly welcomed.  The same issues that were going on back them - not fully participating nor paying attention, whining, etc. - are still on display.  I read Jamire the riot act, in front of his mom, about the expectations that are still in place.

Rick has returned to help out, but Steve still expects him to fill out a volunteer form.  I understand that is the park district policy.  However, I'm in agreement with Rick being concerned about how his personal information is going to be handled by other staff members.  Several months ago, information regarding money that I owe to the city was lying around the front desk counter for everybody to see.  That stuff happens too often down there like the gossip and backbiting.  I don't want Rick to be discouraged from helping and being frustrated in his efforts.  Sahia hasn't been to the gym to volunteer in months, and due to family matters, she probably is not going to return.  I would like for Rick to keep helping out.

I don't make it a secret that my patience with most of the youths' behaviors at the field house, whether the youths are in my program or not, is extremely thin.  I need another adult there to give me a chance to go off into a corner and take a few deep breaths whenever something happens inside the gym that really works my nerves. 

Speaking of working my nerves, one of the teens who keeps bombarding me with questions about joining the boxing program was at it again recently.  I learned their parents don't want to sign him up.  The teen grumbled about "my parents won't support what I want to do", but that is everybody's story.  I was discouraged from going into the military, from being a police officer, and from being an actress/singer.  Most youths refuse to accept that they are going to have to wait until they become 18 years old before they can do whatever. 

Upon learning their parents would have to come in to complete registration, the teen got on his cell phone to call his mom.  She refused to come down to the field house.  That particular day was her birthday.  Why did the teen think it was a good idea to expect their mom was going to interrupt their special day for something they had already given no as their answer?  Really?

No comments: