Monday, November 04, 2019

Looking At The Front Door

I was low sick all this past weekend, and I was not 100% today.  I have no doubt that I caught something from one of the kids in the gym although I don't know which one.  Every time an adult catches something from a kid, like me for example, the adult is affected ten times worse.

I put in a phone message to Mike O'Hara as suggested by Riccardo, a former coach who has been coming around lately to LaFollette Park.  Mike is involved in boxing and is looking for a place where he can bring some people who want to train.  Riccardo would like to help build up the boxing program.  But I often wonder if it is a case of too little, too late for LaFollette Park.

The last time Riccardo came in, Keon and Keith were in the gym.  Whenever those two thought I wasn't paying attention, the usual slacking off would start.  Riccardo noticed that, too.  "Those who don't want to train need to be told to go in the corner while you work with the ones who are serious about this," Riccardo told me. Good advice, but easier said than done.  I seldom have serious contenders on the attendance list, but plenty of those who not only waste my time but don't even finish out the ten-week sessions.  Depending on my level of irritation and who is causing that, there are days where I don't give out much in terms of instruction. 

Like an old rap song said, "I'm looking at the front door."  Seriously.  All the effort I've put into trying to make that boxing program work has come to naught.  I appreciate Riccardo wanting to help out.  However, any revival of the current situation has to attract willing participants who will stick with the class in the long run.  Unfortunately, serious people do NOT register for the boxing classes. 

I keep hearing that the former boxing coach at LaFollette was a guy named Pat LaCassa.  I understand that LaCassa was a former boxer and went on to train some good amateur and professional boxers.  I would sure love to talk to him to learn if he faced the same challenges I've always had to deal with in the gym. 


No comments: