Wednesday, May 01, 2019

A Life Support Situation


My supervisor asked if I had anyone who was going to be in the field house's boxing show.  The show isn't until mid-June, first of all.  Jaylen is the only kid in the class for those 12-years-old and under.  I'm not sure he's going to sign up for the summer session even though I mentioned it to both Jaylen and his mom.  David, who was in the class about three years ago, signed up for the teen class for this current session.  But David can only show up a couple of days to train because of swim class.  Plus, the other three teens in the class dropped out some time ago so David won't have others to work train with at the gym.  All of the adults in the class are gone, too.

As usual, there's a problem about me not having many participants in the shows.  Once again, I had to explain the issues that have plagued the boxing program for the past five years.  "Well, Derek runs the gym over at Franklin Park, and he had 20 to 23 kids in the City-Wide Tournament," my supervisor said.  Before Derek started with the park district, he ran an independent neighborhood boxing program.  Derek came into the park district with followers.  I didn't.  I had to build up what is there now from the ground up.

The supervisor told me that he and I were going to have to meet soon regarding the performance of the boxing program.  The program might have to be "moved" if things continue the way they are. 

Oh, really?

Boxing has always been dead last in the popularity contest behind football, baseball, basketball, gymnastics, and swimming down at the field house.  Most of the neighborhood is unaware of the program's existence despite my efforts in promoting it.  Too many of the kids think they're going to be handing out knockouts in the ring from day one.  When the kids find out they have to do some real work before they are ever allowed to participate in matches, the interest in the sport quickly disappears.  Parents and guardians are disappointed when I tell them I'm coaching a sport not running a self-defense class to help their kids avoid being picked on.  And the list of issues that plague that program -- the majority of which are out of my control -- goes on.

My supervisor is not there when the boxing program starts each day so there is a disconnect about actually knowing what I have to go through.  I was told, "I understand", yet I'm still considered to be at fault for what goes on.  All I can do is to keep running the program the best I know how, but it's been on life support for a long time. 

To paraphrase Dr. McCoy on "Star Trek": I'm a boxing coach, not a doctor. 





No comments: