Friday, August 25, 2017

Hanging Out At Harrison Park


Even though I brought gear with me to Harrison Park last night, I did not expect Abrahant (or Abraham, as I refer to the boy) to show up.  Iz is out of town for the next two weeks, and Abraham never made a solid commitment to go to Harrison Park's boxing show.  I know I gave Iz and Abraham's parents a boxing show schedule long before the summer session ended.  Since I'll be riding public transportation to Eckhart Park's show next week just like I did to travel to Harrison Park last night, I won't trouble myself by bringing any gear along.  It's doubtful that Abraham will show up there, either.

I had no participants, and Thomas had enough people to judge the bouts, so I just hung around to watch the fights.  There were some good ones, including one between two pre-teen girls.  I think the girl who won was out of Ogden Park.  I congratulated her afterward because she was handling her business well in the ring.

A check of the people who signed up for LaFollette Park's fall boxing class revealed that my favorite pigeon-toed, video-game obsessed kid, James, has registered again.  I hope that means that his grades are back in order.  James' poor grades have kept him out of the gym for a session and a half.

Marty, the coach at Simons Park, pointed out a truth:  the ones who aren't serious and motivated enough to follow through with boxing eliminate themselves out of the class.  I've only had to ban a handful of individuals from the class for behavioral and discipline problems.  The others who willfully refuse to keep up do me a favor by either dropping out before the session ends or not registering for the next session.

The idea was brought up that perhaps my week at work could be split up by having the kids new to the class show up three days a week and having the more advanced kids show up two days a week.  It's a nice idea on the surface that would help me direct my focus on which participants need what.  But as long as scatter shot attendance continues among the youths, the idea is not feasible.  The boxing program at LaFollete Park has to be much stronger than it is currently to handle that type of schedule.


2 comments:

sahia bidwill said...

Greetings Coach Hillari-
I have made numerous attempts over the past six weeks to contact you by phone and in person at the gym. Left multiple messages for you to return my calls.
Today I went to the gym twice, at 12:00 PM and at 5:00 PM.
I requested to speak with a supervisor because I believe you are not getting my messages. A Coach James took my message and promised to pass it on to you.
I am now attempting to contact you through your blog, hoping you get this message.
PLEASE CALL ME...
S. Bidwill (Noel & Mikaela's mom)
414-429-1317

Hillari said...

Sahia, I am so sorry you had to deal with that level of unprofessionalism at LaFollette. There's no excuse for that. Trust me, this is not the first time parents have told me they have had problems reaching me there. Parents have also told me they have received wrong information about the boxing program when they called or stopped by the field house. I have sent an email to Mr. Collins, the supervisor; I will be speaking with him as well. I will give you a call when I arrive at work.